In this fun first project, students will get familiar with the engineer design process by making phone holders. Students will focus on prototyping and iterating to create their product. Get ready to take part in this cool project, Let’s Go!
- Structural materials, like corrugated cardboard or wooden craft sticks
- Tape or glue
- Other assorted office/craft supplies like rubber bands, paper clips, binder clips, pipe cleaners, etc
1. Brainstorm some designs for your phone stand. Make sketches of them on paper and write down the materials you would need to build them. Try to come up with at least three different designs, then think about how they would meet your requirements.
2. Build a prototype of your best design. You might need to start adjusting your design at this point! For example, maybe the parts do not fit together like you thought they would. If you run into problems when building your prototype, it is OK to modify the design, or even switch to a completely different design if you realize it will not work as intended.
3. Test your prototype! Try using it yourself or giving it to someone else to try out, and go through various real-world usage scenarios.
Earn Your Badge By Taking This Quiz!
Share Your Project!
Please share a link to your project and/or a picture or video of your project, with a description of how you innovated on your project. And please comment on another engineer’s project!
Are you a Teacher?
Click here for your