In this fun first project, students will act as civil engineers as they design and build a newspaper tower. Students will need to take into consideration real-life challenges that engineers face daily such as material limitations and high wind forces. Let’s get ready for this engineering challenge!
- office tape
- meter stick
1. Divide the class into groups of three students each.
2. Distribute scissors around the classroom for students to share. Give each group 12 inches (30 cm) of tape and three full sheets of newspaper.
3. Give teams about 20 minutes to test different designs.
4. After about 20 minutes, students are allowed to return all their materials to the teacher in exchange for another 12 inches (30 cm) of tape and three more sheets of newspaper.
5. Give students an additional 10 – 15 minutes of construction time.
1. Measure and record the height of the final tower.
2. Then step away from the tower so it is at arm’s length and blow out a full breath to simulate a hurricane.
Earn Your Badge By Taking This Quiz!
Share Your Project!
Please share a link to your project and/or a picture or video of your project, with a description of how you innovated on your project. And please comment on another engineer’s project!
Are you a Teacher?
Click here for your